Disclosure: I was invited to take part in the 2013 Disney Social Media Moms Celebration conference. I paid a conference fee and my family and I will receive incredible perks at a substantially-reduced rate as attendees of the event. I paid for our family’s airfare and travel expenses separately and completely. I was not asked or required to publish content related to the conference or Disney. All opinions are my own. Affiliate links are used in this post.
My family and I are crazy, elatedly excited to attend the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration at Walt Disney World for our second year. The packing for this trip requires professional outfits, casual party wear, and clothing suitable for running around the parks with our kids. There is also a runDisney fun run for the attendees, Merida from BRAVE’s coronation for the entire family, swimming and water sliding at the Contemporary, and more amazing events.
As so many of us moms will be traveling for work and pleasure during the summer months, I thought I would share with you all my must-pack clothing and beauty items (you know, the essentials after a smart phone, laptop or tablet, business cards, chargers and cameras, and your children’s gear). You can watch the video of my latest Real Life Style with Jessica McFadden show for MomTV, or skip it and read on for more detailed packing and shopping recs.
1. Wedge Heeled Sandals
The wedge heel sandal is the most comfortable trend for devoted high heel wearers like myself. The wedge not only looks chic, it evenly distributes your body weight across the base of the shoe, as opposed to forcing all the balance onto the balls of your feet plus a spindly stiletto. My favorites in my closet are Charles by Charles David finds I score at DSW for less than $50. They are beautifully made and extremely comfortable (without looking like I’m wearing an overtly comfortable shoe.) I love a versatile neutral color such as tan or black to keep the shoe count down in the suitcase.
Other items that go well with a wedge:
- A neutral nail polish on your toes to lengthen the leg (and make any chips less obvious). My current fav is Sation’s Chocolate Chip Resistant.
- Leg moisturizer with a smidge of self-tanner like Nivea Sunkissed Beautiful Legs.
2. BB or CC Cream with SPF
The best beauty product I recommend for summer travel is a BB or CC cream with a good deal of SPF in it. A BB or CC cream will infuse your skin with more healing, rejuvenating nutrients than a regular old tinted moisturizer, and it will give you color-correction. Wear it alone for casual events such as the beach, pool, sight-seeing and running around with your kids. For career or dressier occasions, wear the BB cream beneath your favorite foundation. This will provide more coverage and a more natural finish as the cream acts as a primer.
Thanks to the CVS Beauty Club and celebrity beauty consultant Mickey Williams at Getting Gorgeous I was introduced to the Lumene Vitamin C+ Illuminating Anti-Age BB Cream with SPF 20. I am obsessed with its super light, natural finish and how it completely corrects imperfections. I also really like the Nuance Salma Hayek Renewed Radiance Brightening BB Cream SPF 30.
Other beauty products that are great for travel:
- Bobbi Brown Cheek + Lip Duo: One product, two uses.
- Enjoy Sulfate Free Rejuvenating Shampoo travel size packets won’t strip your hair color like the hotel freebies and they take up no room in your toiletry bag.
3. Day Dresses for Professional Events
For the Disney Social Media Moms full conference day on Friday, or any summer conferences or all-day work events, I recommend wearing a comfortable but on-trend day dress. Wearing simply one item makes getting dressed super easy!
The four dresses featured here are all priced at less than $100 and featured in the Amazon Dress Shop.
Other great summer professional wear choices:
- A bouclé jacket strikes the perfect balance between a cardigan and a blazer and works with pants, skirts, jeans and dresses.
- A good-quality maxi dress like Lilly Pulitzer’s Sloane style is great for relaxed evening events at conferences and vacation night dinners.
4. Vibrant Running Shoes
Running shoes do double duty when on vacation. They serve you for morning exercise like the #runDisney Fun Run at the Disney Social Media Moms Conference, as well as provide supportive footwear for sight-seeing with your family. I am loving the vibrant colors in the new styles! My all-time favorite running shoes — the crazy-comfortable Saucony Ignition 3’s – I recently found in neon pink at DSW for $30, more than half-off the price at a boutique running shoe shop.
Other sporty packing choices:
- I am a fan of the Champion Absolute Workout Bra. No bouncing, no need to double up, and it’s cheap enough at $11 that I can buy several.
- I find great deals on workout tanks and capris on the Lucy Activewear sale page and in-store clearance racks.
5. Retro-Inspired One-Piece Swim Suits
Summer vacationing with your kids makes wearing a swim suit non-negotiable. I have had great luck with the affordable, retro-inspired selection of suits at JCPenney, My Bettie-Page-ish black/white polka dot one-piece from last year (similar to the solid black one below) gets tons of compliments, flatters my figure, and offers plenty of support for worry-free hurtling down water slides with my kids. The last time I wore it a very chic woman asked me if it was Michael Kors, and I gleefully attested to its St. John’s Bay glory and $25 cost. I don’t think she was amused.
Other good swimsuit sources for the two-piece gals:
- Becca by Rebecca Virtue, found at Everything But Water, makes bikinis with great coverage for larger breasts.
- Petite hotties will look great in the DVF for Roxy bikinis.
More About Walt Disney World and Disney Social Media Moms: